You own a home and love it. But doesn’t it feel like there is always something needing done? Those pesky little projects around the house are easy to blow off in favor of must-have repairs, upgrades and renovations. It seems like there is never enough time. Until a winter storm hits and you’re snowed in — and you have nothing else to do.
At PowerTech, our residential electricians have been there. Here are 10 of their favorite Do-It-Yourself projects to tackle when there’s six feet of snow on the ground, nothing good on Netflix and you’ve already taken a nap twice.
10 DIY Snow Day Home Improvement Ideas
- Change your home outlet covers. You may not notice your tacky old or broken outlet covers, but visitors probably do. If your outlet colors are cracked and discolored, it’s an inexpensive and quick fix. Spruce up different rooms by putting on new outlet covers that look great with existing woodwork and hardware.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Do you like paying more for wasted energy? Install a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature during the day and make sure the house is warm when you get home.
- Install a backsplash. It’s easier than you think. If you’re intimidated, take an even easier route and use pegboard tile, peel-and-stick tile or thermoplastic tiles.
- Organize your closet. Declutter! Donate! Get rid of clothes you haven’t worn in a year or more. Replace wire hangers with nicer, organization friendly versions as well as stackable bins. Hang a shoe rack over the door to maximize your space.
- Update your entryway. Make a better first impression! Everyone loves a warm, inviting entryway. Add a mirror to create the image of a larger space. A bench is great for removing shoes, storage and enhancing the overall look of your space.
- Paint. Updating a room’s paint color can totally transform the room. When painting during winter, humidity levels are low so drying time is faster (bonus!). And a power roller can speed up the process if you have several rooms that need sprucing.
- Replace toilet seats and seat covers. Take a good look at your toilet seat. Seriously! If it’s discolored or scratched, it is BEYOND time to update it. You can even install a heated toilet seat!
- Update faucets and shower heads. Choose from a variety of upgrades and replace a faucet or a shower head in minutes.
- Add light fixtures and lights. Install a pendant lamp in a corner. Change out light fixtures to add brightness and change the look of a room.
- Caulk. Use caulk to fill in gaps around the tub, doors and windows, and stairwells. Sealing unsightly gaps keeps out cold air. This is simple, fast and makes a huge difference.
For larger projects, especially electrical work, call in the pros. For DIY ideas, keep in simple. At PowerTech, we handle all things electrical to save you time, money and energy. In the meantime, stay safe and Happy DIY!
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.