Is there such a thing as useless knowledge? When it comes to pop culture, maybe. Electricity? No way. You probably take electricity for granted — everyone does — because you use it hundreds of times per day if not more. At PowerTech, we think about electricity a LOT. Here, PowerTech’s service technicians share 10 fun facts about electricity you probably didn’t know — but should.
Electricity Facts For Your Next Trivia Game
- Electricity travels at the speed of light, which is 300,000 kilometers per second. That is why electrical shock or electrocution can happen so quickly.
- A single lightning bolt can measure up to three million volts and lasts less than a second.
- A spark of static electricity can measure up to 3,000 volts. That is why you should use caution when pumping gas or working around flammable items when you could be charged with static electricity.
- LED bulbs use about one-sixth of the electricity of conventional bulbs, cost about one-fourth the cost of traditional bulbs to power, and they last about 40 times longer.
- Appliances in the mid-1980s used about four times as much electricity as a modern appliance.
- Electricity causes muscle cells in your heart to contract, making it beat. Electrocardiogram (ECG) machines measure the amount of electricity going through the heart. Without the right electrical charge in your body, your heart will fall out of rhythm.
- A standard taser can emit up to 50,000 volts. That is enough to paralyze someone temporarily, which is why tasers are effectively used.
- Global electrical production during 2015 approached 25,000 terawatt hours. One terawatt is 1 trillion watts.
- Even when switched off, an appliance that is plugged in uses energy. The average laptop idles at 20 watts while a desktop computer idles at 80 watts. It is wise to unplug appliances while not in use.
- It takes more electricity to operate the digital clock on a microwave than it does to heat food in it. You can “zap” your meal cheaper than you can check the time of day.
Best Electricians in Omaha and Council Bluffs
With the right guidance, the team at PowerTech can help you lower your energy use and costs.
PowerTech has provided thousands of people in Omaha and Council Bluffs with high-quality, affordable electrical services, both residential and commercial. Get in touch today to discuss your electrical needs with a member of the PowerTech crew.
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.