What Lights Help With Seasonal Depression?
When there’s a foot of snow on the ground and sub-zero temps outside, it can be tough to feel happy and optimistic. Seasonal depression, also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder, affects about 5% of the population. It can lead to mood changes and depression. If you’ve had it, you certainly understand how real it is and how it can impact our life.
The right lighting can help you feel better and improve your sleep. Here, the team at PowerTech offers their favorite lights for kicking SAD to help you get through the winter until the hot sun comes out again.
Lamps That Help Kick Seasonal Depression
These lamps are all recommended for fending off SAD and for lighting up your room. Plus, they look great at home!
- The Carex Day-Light Classic Plus Light Therapy Lamp – With a large surface area of 15 ½ inches by 13 ½ inches, this lamp generates 10,000 lux projecting light downward helping prevent glare. It has an adjustable stand, so it will work with varying heights and chairs.
- Canadian Optics Lattis Light Therapy Lamp – Featuring 10,000 lux of LED lighting that is UV-free, it’s a full-spectrum white light with modern look. Bonus – LED light has better longevity than fluorescent light. But do take note – this lamp has a small surface area with a fixed position (what a work of art!), so adjustment is not possible.
- Flamingo Floor Lamp – This lamp stands at 46 inches tall and fits best near a chair, exercise equipment, or wherever you find yourself hanging out. You can easily slide this lamp into a corner while you are watching TV or reading. It also has 10,000 lux of UV-free, LED, full-spectrum light that is adjustable and glare-free.
- TaoTronics Light Therapy Lamp – This is a small, portable option but delivers 10,000 lux and has one-touch controls. An affordable and efficient option!
- Lavish Home Sunlight Floor Lamp – This lamp is resistant to vibrations and shock, and it has an adjustable height and angle. Its gooseneck design provides clear, bright light to energize the room. Using a 27-watt CFL it can provide as much light as a 150-watt bulb!
How Light Can Help Overcome Seasonal Depression
A study recently published in the American Journal of Psychiatry indicates that lamps with 10,000 lux can effectively treat seasonal depression after as little as a week of use. When professionals prescribe light therapy, a light box is often recommended as it provides a greater amount of light than any kind of light fixture or lamp in the home.
When you are treating seasonal depression, it is recommended that you sit about two feet away from a bright light. That light should have lighting about 20 times brighter than normal room lighting. If you suffer from seasonal depression, a new light fixture or lamp can make a significant difference in your overall mood.
If you would like to learn more about choosing the best light fixtures and lamps for seasonal depression, talk with a lighting expert at PowerTech. With the right guidance and assistance, you can make sure your home lighting is on track and you have a welcoming and happy atmosphere for your specific setting.
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.