At one time or another (or a lot — we live in the Midwest after all), we’re in a power outage. It’s usually due to severe weather. Keeping yourself, the kids, or your furry friends occupied is important to keep the family sane until the electricity — and therefore the TV, electronics and video games — are back happily distracting the family from spending time together.
At PowerTech, we understand the headache that comes with a power outage. Here are some of our team’s go-to suggestions for making a power outage fun.
What Do When The Power Is Out During a Storm
- Get out the board games. Often, we are too caught up in the hustle and bustle to enjoy actual family time. Seize the moment and enjoy a board game together.
- Workbooks, puzzles, or coloring books are a great way to relax and pass time. These can be fun for family members of all ages.
- Bring back charades! Playing charades could be a great way to get your family laughing and communicating.
- Get out your instruments and make some music.. Have a sing along and perform your own personal concert.
- Use your artistic skills and spend time drawing, painting, or crafting. Make collages, drawings, paintings, or do origami. Or really go big and make some jewelry!
- Exercise or do yoga. Get steps in by walking around the house (you might feel crazy but hey, who cares?) or do some stretching or make up your own workout and have a family boot camp.
- Make a comic book. You could do these individually or together as a family.
- Play hangman or tic-tac-toe. This would be a great way to pass time, especially if you do not have a board game on-hand.
- Play trivia. Make your own questions!
- Do crossword puzzles, Sudoku, or word games. They pass the time and work your brain.
- Show the kids how you played as a kid. Grab extra sheets and pillows to build a fort.
- Get out the yarn. Do needlework, sewing, cross-stitch, crocheting, or knitting. You can make a blanket, scarf, hat, or create wall art.
- Visit with friends. Get to know your neighbors. Take a walk, weather permitting.
- Embrace the opportunity for precious family time. Communicate. Talk about your interests, your memories, and what is most important to each person in your household. Take advantage of the downtime to reconnect.
- Sleep. Who says getting a little extra rest isn’t fun?
Preparing For A Power Outage
While you should have activities planned and games on hand to keep your family occupied in the event of a power outage, you can also prepare to reduce the inconvenience of a power outage. Call PowerTech to discuss having a backup generator installed at your home. The team at PowerTech can help you determine what kind of generator best suits your needs. Get in touch today to schedule a consultation.
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.