Homeowners who live in an energy efficient home have lower utility bills, enjoy tax credits and reduce their carbon footprint. There are many simple ways to save energy throughout your property. Here, the experienced Omaha and Council Bluffs electricians at PowerTech offer 10 of their favorite tips for making your home more energy efficient.
Tips for an Energy Efficient Home
- Use LED lights. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, LED is the most efficient lighting technology, and has the potential to fundamentally change the future of lighting in the United States. Residential LEDs — especially ENERGY STAR® rated products — use at least 75% less energy. They also last 25 times longer than incandescent lighting.
- Install Solar Panels. There are ample tax rebates and energy savings — including money and your carbon footprint — that comes along with installing solar panels. Solar Power is the wave of the future, and while there is an initial investment, the benefits pay off sooner rather than later.
- Choose energy efficient appliances — look for the ENERGY STAR® rating. Doing so will reduce your energy costs in the long run and cut down on usage and waste. FYI: As appliances get older, they operate less smoothly, so they use more energy. Update your appliances regularly.
- Add timers and motion detectors to turn lights off and on. It’s easy to forget to switch off a light when you leave a room. Automatic timers and motion detectors are easy lighting controls that save energy and will lower your electric bill.
- Install dimmers. In most cases, you don’t need the same amount of light during different times of the day and night. Dimmers can be installed for LEDs and CFLs. Dimmers increase the lifespan of both bulbs. For incandescent bulbs, though, dimmers will reduce output more than wattage. That makes incandescent bulbs less efficient when they’re dimmed.
- Use power strips for easier switching off and on of multiple devices and unplug your entertainment systems and TVs when you are travelling. Turn off your computer and its monitor when you step away from your desk.
- Have your home’s heating and air unit inspected annually. A licensed professional will make sure the system is operating safely and efficiently. Checkups can catch costly repairs early before they worsen. When a filter is dirty, that can cause damage to the equipment and will increase your energy use and expenses.
- Have an electrician check your wiring. Not only will this save energy, it can prevent your house from burning down due to an electrical fire.
- The dishwasher’s drying cycle can use a lot of energy. When possible, air dry your dishes after they have been washed.
- Get an energy audit. Have an energy professional do a walk-through of your home to identify expensive energy losses in your basement, unfinished rooms, leaky ductwork, attics, and garages. By sealing the ductwork, you can save on energy expenses and avoid turning up the thermostat for just one cold area.
Hire A Professional Electrician in Omaha and Council Bluffs
PowerTech’s team of highly knowledgeable energy experts will help you make the best choices to ensure your home’s lighting is energy efficiency. If you want to make sure you have done everything you can to reduce energy related expenses, call us today to speak with a team member.
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will be in touch.