It’s been nearly a year since COVID-19 gave staying home a whole new meaning. It’s changed the way we dine, watch TV, and upgrade our homes, among other things. Much like takeout and Netflix, pandemic home remodeling is flourishing.
As you make a to-do list of what you’d like to remodel or upgrade the most, consider adding lighting upgrades to your must-have category. Upgrading your lighting can be just as sexy as a new kitchen or a game room addition because it can beautifully illuminate your entire home – and lighting can be pretty awesome-looking in itself. At the same time, a modern lighting system benefits the planet, your pocketbook – and you. Here are PowerTech’s top five reasons to consider the “new normal” as the right time to install new lighting throughout your home.
Top 5 Reasons to Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting System
- Save Energy. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, LED lighting in residential homes uses about 75% less energy than conventional lighting systems. Energy Star products save even more. If more people made the switch, officials estimate that by 2027 homeowners could conserve the energy equivalent of 44 large electric plants. Reducing energy also lowers your carbon footprint, boosts air quality, sustains natural resources, and encourages a healthier planet.
- Save Money. LED lighting lasts 25 times longer than traditional incandescent lights. That means you’ll replace them far less often. You’ll see the biggest savings, though, in your energy bills. Updating your home’s lighting system reduces the amount of power it takes to light a room. LED lights also produce less heat, which keeps your home cooler. The Energy department says LED lights could bring more than $30 billion in savings at today’s electricity prices in the next six years.
- Modernize Fixtures. Just like cabinets, countertops, furniture and appliances, old light fixtures make your home look dated and drab. Replacing old fixtures with modern ones can give your house a surprise facelift, much like a fresh coat of paint does wonders to a room. And if you’re planning on other renovations, the last thing you want are archaic fixtures alongside them.
- Get a Clean Look to Your Ceiling. Recessed lighting gives the ceiling a streamlined, seamless look. It also adds ambiance to your home, helps you see better, and makes wall art and other decor stand out beautifully. Recessed lighting also eliminates the number of lamps you’ll need, which adds floor and table space throughout the home.
- Feel Better. It’s been a stressful year. Lighting affects our health and wellness. Great lighting can improve your mood, change your mindset and even boost productivity. This is helpful especially as many of us are not only spending time at home – we’re also working from there. Some experts use LED lighting to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder. Between winter and COVID, every bit of relief counts to ensure a happier environment for your and your family.
Ready to upgrade your home’s lighting system? Check out that and all of PowerTech’s residential electrical services.
Looking for more tips, including advice on hiring an electrician in Iowa or Nebraska? Check out our blog.
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.