Did you know that some people don’t love turkey? It’s true. While people talk about their Thanksgiving feasts, most love the stuff that goes with it — stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole, to name a few. But turkey? Meh. Even so, the notion of turkey alternatives on Thanksgiving is blasphemous, right?
Nah. Not even a little bit.
Turns out, you can have a lovely Thanksgiving without forcing down turkey you don’t really like, are sick of or can’t be bothered putting in all the work cooking this year. Here, the team at PowerTech offers a few suggestions for turkey alternatives that will make you happy you gave the bird a rest this year.
Skip The Thanksgiving Turkey — Try These Tasty Feasts Instead
- Holiday sports on the menu? Nothing goes better with football than pizza or hot wings. Both are easy to prepare as well as fun finger foods everyone likes. Order them ahead so all you have to do is a quick cleanup once everyone is done.
- Still want some kind of bird? Try Cornish hens. This offers the comforting kind of food you would have at a traditional dinner, but in smaller size. This reduces the amount of energy used and is just enough for a smaller household.
- Looking for the easiest meal ever? Bake lasagna. There are so many ways you can prepare this dish — one of our favorite turkey alternatives — whether it’s meat and cheese lasagna or a vegetarian version filled with pumpkin, spinach, or eggplant. Lasagna in any form is tasty, can feed an army and makes for a flavorful, filling option that is different from the norm. Need inspiration? Check out these Thanksgiving lasagna recipes from Food and Wine.
- Need something for everyone? Chicken legs are an easy fix and a crowd pleaser. They’re great for watching football! Get creative with flavor options and preparation. A lot of different sides pair well with chicken legs, whether it’s traditional Thanksgiving sides or salads, or quick fixes, like baked beans or fries or dips.
- Want to surprise your guests with a fun twist? Create a baked potato bar with all the toppings. Vary the potatoes — yellow, sweet, meat, sour cream, butter, chili, onions, chives, or various other flavorful additions.
- Go vegetarian or vegan! There are great recipes for a healthy, meat-free feast that even turkey lovers will enjoy. Check out these recipes from Bon Appetit for ideas, especially the Roasted Winter Squash With Kale Pipian. Yum.
- Grill out. Fire up the grill for hot dogs, hamburgers, or take it up a notch with some steaks or pork chops. Add a veggie kabob and you’re set! Serve buffet style set up with the various toppings and sides. A winner in the turkey alternatives game!
- Keep it super simple with soup and salad. This is a healthy, easy to fix, and flavorful combination. Soup options are endless as far as turkey alternatives go, ranging from chicken to broccoli cheddar or tomato or vegetable soup. You soup can have turkey in it if you feel bad! Pick your fave and pair it with your favorite salad. Poof! You have an easy dinner to satisfy your guests.
How to Give Thanks in 2021
Regardless of what kind of meal you choose — turkey alternatives or not — plan a holiday that you and your loved ones will enjoy. When preparing your meal it’s always good to keep your energy use in mind -. if you need an electrician to make sure your home’s kitchen is up to par and ready for your upcoming holiday festivities, call PowerTech. Our technicians will ensure your home’s electrical system is ready to rock this holiday season. .
PowerTech has the power to provide all of your residential electrician and commercial electrical needs, whether it’s a home remodel or repair, an electrical issue at your business, a generator service or purchase, or emergency electrical help. Let us show you why we are the top choice for service in Council Bluffs, Omaha, and beyond.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 712.256.8702. You also can fill out our contact form and a representative will contact you as soon as possible.